Sound Devices 788T
Sound Devices 788T
The 788T is a powerful eight input, eight-track digital audio recorder designed for production sound. Building on the success of the proven 7-Series architecture, the 788T offers greatly expanded input and output connectivity while continuing the 7-Series heritage of extensive control in a compact package.
- Sampling Frequency: internal: 32, 44.1, 47.952, 48, 48.048, 88.2, 96, 96.096, 176.4, 192 external clocking: 32–192 kHz via word clock or digital inputs AES/EBU inputs can accept signals from 32-192 kHz when sync reference = internal (SRC enabled).
- Internal Data Path and Processing: 32 bit, 192 dB dynamic range
- A/D, D/A Converters: 24 bit, 192 kHz maximum sampling rate
- A/D Dynamic Range: 123 dB, A-weighted bandwidth 120 dB, 20 Hz–22 kHz bandwidth
- D/A Dynamic Range 114 dB, A-weighted bandwidth 111 dB, 20 Hz–22 kHz bandwidth
- Metering 112-segment (8 x 14), sunlight-viewable, selectable peak, VU, or peak (with or without peak hold) with VU ballistics, variable brightness
- Input to Output Delay 1.4 msec, from XLR Analog Inputs to all Outputs (with 0.0 Delay selected in the Setup Menu)
- Frequency Response Mic or Line: 10Hz-40kHz, +0.1, -0.5 dB (gain controls centered, Fs 96 kHz, 24 bit)
- THD + Noise Mic: 0.004% max (1 kHz, 22 Hz–22 kHz BW, gain control down, -15 dBu input) Line: 0.004% max (1 kHz, 22 Hz–22 kHz BW, gain control down, +16 dBu input)
- Gain: Mic 0 to 76 dB, Line -26 to 50 dB
- Input Impedance: Mic 3.3k Ω Line 3.3k Ω
- Input Clipping Level: Mic +8 dBu minimum (gain = 10 dB), Line + 26 dB minimum (gain = 0 dB)
- Input Topology Mic and Line: fully electronically balanced, RF, ESD, short, and overload protected; pin-2 hot, pin-3 cold
- Gain Matching Mic/Line inputs: ±0.1 dB, channel-to-channel while linked
- CMRR Mic: 40 dB minimum at 80 Hz
- High-Pass Filters: 40-320 Hz in 10Hz steps @ 6/12 dB/oct (Setup Menu selectable)
- Mic Powering: (each analog Input selectable) 48 V phantom through 6.8k resistors, 10 mA per mic available, menu-selected per input in Mic- or Line-level positions
- Mic/Line Input Limiters: Variable threshold -12 to -2 dBFS; Infinite:1 limiting ratio, 2 ms attack time, menu-selectable release time 50-2000 ms, menu-selectable hard- or soft-knee (soft-knee starts approximately 6 dB below setting)
- Line Output Clipping Level: +24 dBu, 10k Ω load
- Attenuation & Resolution: 0–40 dB, 1 dB increments
- Output Topology: Line fully electronically-balanced, RF, ESD, short, and overload protected; pin-2 driven hot, pin-3 driven cold; let pin-3 float for unbalanced connections.
- AES3: Balanced AES out 1-4 on TA3 connector; Balanced AES out 5-6 on DE-15 connector110 ohm, 2 V p-p, AES and S/ PDIF compatible with RCA adaptor Balanced AES in 1-8 on DE-15 connector110 ohm, 2 V p-p, AES and S/PDIF compatible with RCA adaptor
- AES42: AES42 Mode 1 operating system, provides +10 V Digital Phantom Power to Digital Input pairs (menu-selectable).
- Internal Drive: 788T - SATA interface 2.5-in hard drive 4200–7200 RPM supported, FAT32 formatted, up to 2 TB addressable 788T-SSD - SATA interface 2.5-in Solid State Drive, FAT32 formatted, up to 2 TB addressable
- CompactFlash: CF type I, II, and + (microdrive) compatible, UDMA (x300) compatible, FAT32 formatted, up to 2TB addressable.
- File Types Record: WAV (AES-31 format), mono or polyphonic, at supported Fs, 24-bit or 16-bit Playback: WAV (AES-31 format), mono or polyphonic, at supported Fs, 24-bit or 16-bit MP3 @ 32, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 256, or 320 kb/s stereo MP2 @ 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 256, or 320, 384 kb/s stereo
- Utilities: Format for internal drives, CompactFlash, and external drive volumes
Timecode & Sync
- Modes Supported: off, free run, record run, 24 hour run, external time code receive
- Frame Rates: 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97DF, 29.97ND, 30DF, 30ND, 30+
- Accuracy: Holds TC clock for 4 hours after main battery removal; after 4 hours, retains time of day
- Input Output: 20k Ω impedance, 0.3V p-p (–8 dBu) minimum / 1k Ω impedance, 3.0V p-p (+12 dBu)
- Sync Input: Word Clock, AES3, Video (NTSC, PAL, and Tri-Level)
- Word Clock Output: Square wave, running at sample rate, 3.3vp-p, 75 Ω